TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF HIRE
(Updated January 2021)
- The scenery supplied will be where possible as described by Prop Hire Scotland. However, whilst every effort will be made to supply the scenery as specified, we reserve the right, without notice, to replace, substitute or omit any elements of the set, scenery or stage properties which need replacement due to improvement, damage, health and safety, or for any other reason.
- The customer will be responsible for any loss or damage to the hired items during the hire period. The customer will insure the hired items for the full replacement value and will ensure that cover is included for and during transportation when arranged by the customer, transfer from the vehicle to the venue, the set up at the venue; and cover for when the hired items are at the customer’s venue or storage facilities.
- Prop Hire Scotland will hold no responsibility for or entertain allowance for late delivery of items hired to the customer outside the control of Prop Hire Scotland or the customer. This includes late arrivals on delivery or collection, strikes or lockouts, delays caused by late return of items from other customers, floods, inclement weather, acts of war or terrorism and acts of God. We will not be responsible for any financial loss of the customer for whatever reason due to a failure to supply for reasons out with Prop Hire Scotland’s control. The customer should ensure they have insurance in place for any such potential losses.
- Hired items should only be used for the expected purpose and Prop Hire Scotland accepts no responsibility for accidents occurring from the incorrect use of any hired items.
- Any damage or losses not caused through normal wear and tear will be the responsibility of the customer and Prop Hire Scotland will charge accordingly for the full replacement value. The customer will be responsible for any damage irrespective of whether the damage and or loss was caused by themselves or others (i.e. venue staff, hauliers, members of the public).
- The customer will be responsible for arranging the careful unloading/loading of any delivery or collection and will ensure that adequate personnel are at hand to assist with the loading or unloading. Any additional expense to Prop Hire Scotland caused by delays exceeding 2 hours after the agreed delivery or collection time may incur additional cost to the customer.
- It is assumed unless otherwise stated or requested that the customer has normal stage facilities and equipment for bracing, braking, weighting, balancing or hanging the stage scenery supplied. No hanging wires, stage braces, brakes or stage weights will be supplied by Prop Hire Scotland, unless requested. It is essential that the customer ensures that all the items supplied are fixed, used and handled safely and that they will do their own Risk Assessments based on the needs of their own production and venue.
- Prop Hire Scotland will assume that collection of hire items will commence immediately after the final performance, unless otherwise agreed. It is requested that priority be given to the dismantling of scenery or return of other hire items to ensure a timely departure; there should be enough staff available to load the vehicle in a timely and safe manner until all hire items are loaded.
- The customer is responsible for checking hire items on delivery. Prop Hire Scotland will not enter into any complaints or claims made by the customer concerning damage or items not received unless they are made within 24 hours of the first working day after the delivery of the hire items to the customer.
- The customer agrees to credit Prop Hire Scotland for the supply by stating in any literature or advertising material that the items hired were supplied by Prop Hire Scotland.
- Prop Hire Scotland will be entitled to retrieve the hired items at any time should payment terms not be met as stated below or as subsequently agreed.
- The customer will allow inspection or viewing of the hired items at any time whilst they are in the customer’s control.
- The customer will supply upon request photographs and will allow Prop Hire Scotland to take photographs of the production for which the hired items are supplied.
- Late return of hired items which has not been previously agreed will be charged at a daily rate which is calculated as the total hire cost divided by the number of days for the hire period. Where a late return of hired items incurs a loss of earnings for Prop Hire Scotland that full cost will be passed on to the customer.
- Where a late return prevents Prop Hire Scotland fulfilling a subsequent hire, then the customer may be requested by Prop Hire Scotland to deliver hire items to a venue at their own expense.
General Terms and Conditions of Payment
Prop Hire Scotland requires a non-refundable deposit of 20% of the total hire cost on orders over £200. Items or sets will not be reserved until the deposit has been paid.
We reserve the right to request a higher deposit or full payment in advance for customers who have previously defaulted on payment.
For small orders of £50 and under we will ask for payment on collection of the items.
These terms may be amended for orders made at short notice, extended hires and where the hire includes scenery or props built to the customer’s specifications.
Final Payment must be made in full within 28 days after the hire end date.
Delays in payment will incur an interest charge of 5% per month above the base rate set by the Bank of England.
Penalties for Cancellation
These will depend on the reason for cancellation and will fall into three categories:
- Cancellation of the contract where the show is totally cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances out of the control of the customer, the following penalties will apply:
- Cancellation after acceptance of quote - 20% of full hire price or deposit previously paid.
- Cancellation within 60 days of the delivery date - 50% of the full contract price payable.
- Cancellation with 30 days of the delivery date - 75% of the full contract price payable.
- Cancellation within 14 days of the delivery date - full contract price payable.
- Cancellation of the contract due to the customer choosing another supplier, the following penalties will apply:
- Payment of the full contract agreed.
- Cancellation of the contract where Prop Hire Scotland has built or acquired new scenery or props to meet the customer’s specifications:
- We reserve the right to charge 100% of the contract price in order to mitigate construction costs.
Please note any verbal or email agreements are binding.